The Ephrata High School German program has been designated a German Center of Excellence by the American Association of Teachers of German (AATG). EHS scored the highest rating – “excellent” – in every category evaluated.
“It is a real honor that – from across the United States – Ephrata has been chosen to receive this award,” said EHS German teacher Sally Wise.
The AATG selection panel noted many strengths of the EHS German program:
- A student-focused approach that values student feedback, rapport, and diverse learning styles
- An exemplary faculty, including the credentials they hold, and the professional development they pursue
- A curriculum that is standards-based yet reflects connections to cultural authenticity and other subjects
- A long-standing, well-established program
- Extra-curricular and special event opportunities
“This is truly a program that is designed to meet the needs of students. There is clear evidence that this program has strong support from the administration, professional colleagues, parents and students, and has strong ties to the wider community,” said Keith Cothrun, AATG Executive Director.
“I feel a sense of pride for Ephrata to be recognized nationally in this way. After many, many years, a strong German program has been built with high expectations for students and opportunities to spend time in Germany. As an alumnus of the EHS German program, it has been my desire to carry on the torch—to continue to inspire young people to learn German, recognize its benefits, and experience the country,” Mrs. Wise concluded.
An award ceremony and presentation will be part of the American Council of the Teaching of Foreign Languages Convention and World Expo on Saturday, November 17, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana.