Local Need-Based Services & Resources
Ephrata Area School District Home and School Visitors/School Social Workers
Provide resources, connections, and support for students and families. Help with medical/dental needs, medical assistance/CHIP applications, homeless student services, holiday programs, mental health issues, community resource referrals, attendance concerns, grandparent support, and more.
- Elementary – Ann Lavelle, A_Lavelle@easdpa.org, 717.721.1400, ext. 14500
- EIS/EMS – Jennifer Lugar, J_Lugar@easdpa.org, 717.721.1552
- EHS – Francie Wiker, F_Wiker@easdpa.org, 717.721.1139
Ephrata Area Social Services
227 North State Street, Ephrata 717.733.0345
Serves residents in the Ephrata Area and Cocalico school districts. Registration required which includes an application and identification and proof of residency. Appointment required for all services. Hours of operation are 9 AM to 4 PM Monday through Friday.
- Food Bank – 4-5 day supply of food including milk, bread, eggs, margarine, Available every 30 days by appointment. No fee.
- Clothing Bank-Assortment of children’s and adult clothing available. May frequent once every 30 No fee.
- Transportation – Door to door service for senior citizens and other to medical and personal appointments (not work). Free will donation accepted.
- Emergency Financial Assistance Program – Funding available to help with home heating fuel, electric payments, prescriptions and overnight lodging. Level of help depends on family size and urgency.
CAP Community Action Program
40 E. Main St. Ephrata 717.733-6562, Navigation Services- Social Services, Utilities (PPL, UGI), ELRC (Childcare), Head Start
Tues and Thurs by appointment at the Community Commons (next to the Ephrata Library). Contact Kim Sullenberger by phone 717.509.3686 or email email@example.com
Northern Lancaster HUB
United Way collaboration to serve the community, offers VITA free tax preparation program, various support groups, and operates a free shuttle daily in the Ephrata – Denver area. 717.738.9291 ext. 102, firstname.lastname@example.org
United Way 2-1-1 Lancaster County resources
COMPASS State resources
Free and Reduced Lunch Program
320 Church Ave., Ephrata, Food bank is open Wednesday each week from 5:00 – 6:30 pm.
Saturdays 8:00 – 10:00 AM. No appointment needed.
- First Saturday of the Month – Faith United Lutheran Church, 357 Walnut Street, Denver, 717.336.2141
- Second Saturday of the Month – Lititz Mennonite Church, 165 E. Front Street, Lititz, 717.626.8327
- Third Saturday of the Month – Zion Lutheran Church, 435 Main Street, Akron, 717-859-2100
- Fourth Saturday of the Month – Landis Valley Christian Fellowship, 2420 Kissel Hill Road, Lancaster, 717.569.6051
Blessings of Hope
Offers free food boxes of food every Wednesday from 11 AM – 2 PM at Akron Church of the Brethren (613 Main Street, Akron, 717.859.2156)
Lancaster’s largest thrift store.
The District provides assistance for homeless students in accordance with the McKinney-Vento Act.
Bridge of Hope
Works with homeless or at risk of being homeless single mothers with children. Contact 717.207.8932 or inquire via the website.
Affordable housing communities throughout Lancaster County. Location availability, application and eligibility requirements can be found online.
Offers transitional housing and emergency shelter programs. Contact 1.888.477.0025.
Homes of Hope
A family experiencing homelessness, can be brought into a home setting for six to nine-months for nurture, coaching, and intentional training. Call Tyriq Clark at 717.735.7540 ext. 105.
Formerly Tabor and LHOP. Provides budgeting and credit counseling, first time homebuyer program, landlord tenant dispute help, and eviction prevention. Contact 717.397.5182.
United Way CHART
Connects those experiencing homelessness with community resources or emergency shelter. Access by calling 211 or 1.855.567.5342 for pre- screening and referral M-F 7:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Ephrata Area School District Nursing Staff
Free Immunization Locations
COBYS Family Services
Tabor Community Services
Local Childcare Providers
Comcast Internet Essentials
Affordable Connectivity Program