Threat Assessment Team
Ephrata Area School District wants to assure parents and guardians of our dedication to the safety of students. The District will always take any type of threat seriously. The District and local police departments work together in full cooperation. The Threat Assessment Team was created to assist parents/guardians, students, and staff in better understanding of how the District responds to threats.
The District is made aware of potential concerns/threats through multiple methods. Our Safety/ Security Reporting Systems include:
- Students, parents/guardians, staff, and community members are encouraged to report concerning information to building principals or school counselors.
- Anonymous tips to Tip 411 or SafeSchools@easdpa.org
- Anonymous text Ephrata or 847411 (tip411)
- Safe2Say — www.safe2saypa.org/SAF2SAY or 1-844-723-2720
- Through Gaggle: EASD technology monitoring system
The team is comprised of staff members throughout the District (K-12) specifically: School Counselors, Principals, School Resource Officer, School Nurse, Coordinator of Student Services, Home and School Visitors, and EASD Behavior Specialist.
The purpose of the Threat Assessment Team is to:
- Meet on a regular basis (a minimum of four times a year)
- Create and promote a positive and a safe school climate
- Yearly outreach to students, staff, and parents/guardians
- Create and update a process to analyze individual threats/risks of potential violence, gather information, and assess and manage situations
- Inquire/ask questions and gather information about the person and situation.
- Assess the person/situation who is at risk, based on the totality of information that is reasonably available to determine whether the person or situation poses a threat of violence or harm to others and/or self.
- Manage the threat by implementing an intervention, supervision, and/or monitoring plan to prevent harm where possible and to reduce/mitigate the impact of the situation.
- Consider/Discuss/Understand School Board policies and procedures relating to safety and security
- Promote equity, continuous improvement, and sustainability